In my neighborhood of Boston, it seems like every time I walk out the door I notice another store or restaurant that either has disappeared or just come into existence. This evening I took a leisurely stroll to International Bicycle to pick up a new tube, and during my meandering walk (all with in five minutes of my house) I was amazed at how many changes I noticed when I actually paid attention.
Three stores on Harvard Ave were empty:
- Sovereign Bank (relocated)
- Flyrabbit (becoming Regeneration Records)
- International Pizza and Subs
Three stores were new that I hadn’t notice before:
- Padria Basil Bakery on Harvard Ave
- Bella Fashion (purses) on Brighton Ave
- S and I To Go on Brighton (Thai take-out)
I also took a closer look at three places that have opened up in the last month or two:
- Mt. Mongolian BBQ on Harvard
- Aneka Rasa Malaysian Restaurant
- Green Field Brazilian BBQ on Brighton Ave. (formerly the Amvet’s Thrift Store)
Compiling this brief inventory reminds me how little I really know about this neighborhood and how much more of my attention it deserves.